View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 12:22 AM   #187
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

lurok wrote: View Post
EP 3 - BUSHWHACKED

SciFi 101: Don't go in the abandoned spaceship. Bad things will happen.
I like that Whedon never showed the Reavers in pilot and wondered when they'd make a reappearance. Seems like he's still going for slow tease as only real hint we get here is they have a fetish for facial piercings. Ouch. I did wonder as well what 'Western' trope the Reavers are meant to be: loco injuns? Donner Passers? mutant hillbillies? It's nice that we get a little more of crew development with each ep; there's a bit more chemistry between Mal and Inara; Savant sister seems to have some sort of psi ability; and Kaylee finally starts to shine. The interrogation montage (with nice guest spot by Alliance commander) was highlight of episode. My one wtf moment was realising for first time Wash and Zoe were married. That had obviously skipped me.
I like how the Reavers were handled, and you get the full story about them when you get the the Serenity Movie at the end. Joss did a great job there. The tease worked. This is a nice episode, but it's probably my least favorite of the bunch. I liked how this episode handles the intrigue and horror that the Reavers incite simultaneously.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote