View Single Post
Old November 29 2012, 11:39 AM   #48
Fleet Captain
Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I guess VDCNI's problem isn't religion in the novels per-se, but rather sympathetic characters being portrayed as practicing religion.

If I'm honest I can sort of understand the gut reaction; there's the old saying about hero characters in serial fiction being a little like visiting with friends, and while I have some close friends who are religious, as an opinionated atheist myself it's rather in spite of their beliefs than something I am naturally comfortable with (and certainly has made for some very heated debates over the years, initiated by both sides). Especially if it's a late reveal for a character, it may well require a bit of swallowing and thinking.

But that's a big part of the point of Trek, isn't it? It's saying we manage to get along eventually, and we get there from here, so anything that touches on the how is potentially interesting. And challenging an audience to work through that personally is, too.

I think in general it's usually a missed opportunity to get pissed-off at what a novel is doing and better to try to get something interesting out of it somehow ... if a novel introduces an element that adds something or challenges something about our notion of the 24th century, it's much more fun to examine how to integrate that.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote