View Single Post
Old November 29 2012, 05:31 AM   #40
TerraUnam
Commander

Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
TerraUnam wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post

Even if you're joking, that sort of religious bigotry is completely uncalled for. Why not Unitarians in the 24th century? (And what, exactly, are wrong with Presbyterians?)
There is nothing wrong with Presbyterians, that's my point. A Unitarian is explicitly not a Trinitarian, which is the belief position of every other church you can think of today. That is a problem if, like me, you take the Trinity seriously.
You're not trying to get the point.

What is the problem, exactly, with Trek depicting someone who has a belief system different from your own? Would you be making the same complaint if it turned out that the character in question was, say, Jewish?

Or would you prefer that Trek novels be all about efforts by American evangelical Christians to convert all the heathens out there, starting with the Romulans and their pagan Elements?
I'm a Canadian. I go to the United Church if you must know.

Keeping religion at an arm's length was an established part of Trek's "veneer of the future", if you will. Everybody has an opinion on present-day religion. Mentioning the Roman Catholic Church would have a much, much larger reaction, and it's just best not to mention it for the same reason. A fire salute over the grave with rifles is also just a bit too present-day and IMO just a little too precious. Again, it rips the "veneer of the future" away too much.

Every work or series of works in Science-fiction has a set of self-consistent conceits that allow the reader to suspend their disbelief and accept the fantasy world. Not saying much about present-day religions is an established part of Trek's conceit system. Silent Weapons got away from that system more than I prefer.