View Single Post
Old November 29 2012, 02:28 AM   #26
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Your Christmas Wish List

^Mom's can't get nearly as cool gifts as Santa, though -- he's sending it to the wrong place!
Kestra wrote: View Post
Not doing presents this year which actually frees up a lot of time spent thinking about what to get people.
That would be so hard for me. Thinking of what to get people and then doing Christmas shopping is one of my favorite things to do!

I am so excited about gifts this year, especially my mom's. In the past two and a half years she's beaten cancer, gone from a wheelchair to a walker to a cain to just a leg brace and a limp, started doing volunteer work, lost 25 lbs, and made a huge effort to get healthy again after a bad illness. She has an old, terribly faded tattoo on her shoulder that she hates, and having such an ugly thing there really depresses her. She's wanted a cover-up tatt for years, but since she's on disability she can't afford it. I don't have a lot of money, but this year I thought I could give her $100 to start saving for it. I told this to my best friend, who said she wanted to put in money too (having known my mom for years). Then, when I emailed a friend of my little sister's for advice on Seattle-area tattoo artists, she not only recommended an artist, but said she wanted to contribute too! So I figured, why not see if I could get enough people in to give my mom $250 -- enough to get the tattoo done. With the added contributions of my sister and her boyfriend, and from my dad, we have enough. I just scheduled the consultation with the artist today, and I am SO excited!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote