View Single Post
Old November 29 2012, 01:13 AM   #192
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Take a look at all the box office number ones from the last decade. They have usually been:

-Big ass action movies.
-Family-aimed cartoons.

That's where studios see the money, and in a world where studios are more considered with making a quick dollar than taking risks on anything new, that's what's going to continue to get the go ahead. Artsy movies will be sidelined as a niche thing unless you're James Cameron and can persuade billions to go to a theatre to look at a blank blue screen for three hours through name recognition alone.
That's a very cynical view. But what I'm saying is that the audience is there for "artsy" movies, especially sci-fi which are very visual. Besides, how difficult was TMP to follow? Wasn't very complicated.
Sure, there's an audience, but it's not as big as the audience for Transformers, which despite having a reputation for being total crap still manages to rule the box office.

Honestly, when it comes to TMP it's too long and boring. I'm not saying I need constant action to stay entertained, but how long can one really be entertained by constant reaction shots to funky colours and "BWONG" noises?