View Single Post
Old November 29 2012, 12:52 AM   #22
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Your Christmas Wish List

That's true, though many people still realize the importance of giving and sharing. The Salvation Army and countless other charities are especially active during the holidays in asking for donations to give to the poor and needy.

We have this annual "Adopt a Family" program at work every year, co-sponsored by the SA. Every floor/department gets to sponsor a low-income a family by buying them holiday gifts. Family members get to have a "wish list" of items they want, and we the employees give cash or gift donations to the floor representative. I admit I was a bit soured by it one year when one of the family members asked for a Dolce & Gabbana cologne. I thought, "Maybe if you weren't that shallow, you would've been better off in life." Really? Asking for a luxury item rather than basic essentials like clothing or food? I can understand little kids asking for toys, even video games, but come on. I don't even have an iPad, and someone would be asking for an iPad?