View Single Post
Old November 28 2012, 07:19 PM   #167
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
1) people won't enjoy when films like Titanic, Life of Pi, The King's Speech, Lincoln, and many others do so well and are clearly made and
That's not much of an argument. The King's Speech and Lincoln were in limited release in theatres (showing on less screens than an average movie) so there's a lower bar for them to be considered a success, and The Life of Pi came in fifth place on opening weekend. Titanic is the only true success out of that lot. And that was James Cameron, people flock theatres to see his movies.

Although I make derisive comments about "dumb action flicks" if I'm honest I have to admit to enjoying them more than movies like 2001, which I found to be nothing more than a two hour screen saver.

We're not stupid. We're not troglodytes. We're not savages compared to the moviegoers of the past. We still make good shit.
Take a look at all the box office number ones from the last decade. They have usually been:

-Big ass action movies.
-Family-aimed cartoons.

That's where studios see the money, and in a world where studios are more considered with making a quick dollar than taking risks on anything new, that's what's going to continue to get the go ahead. Artsy movies will be sidelined as a niche thing unless you're James Cameron and can persuade billions to go to a theatre to look at a blank blue screen for three hours through name recognition alone.