View Single Post
Old November 28 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Kooz
Lieutenant

View Kooz's Twitter Profile
Re: How about a "trapped in the past/future" Trek?

starburst wrote: View Post
The whole fish out of water thing works best when you can relate to the characters in some way, like Captain America being stuck in our time where we can relate in a way to where he came from, or John Crighton in Farscape as he sees things as the viewer does. Stargate did a good job at this sort of show as one week they could visit a primitive planet, the week after people hundreds of years more advance, the next a complete alien world and the one after a world on a similar level to us.
I agree, which is why initially I figured it would be a "trapped in" concept as opposed to just an show set in the past (though I do think there's a place for that too). I never got too into Stargate, but yeah, the Farscape point is well-taken.

A jump into the future I agree would be too Andromeda like and depending on where to jump into the past it wouldnt make much difference other than to advance the time period (unless it was to our time which would scream Battlestar 1980).
I didn't see Andromeda (yet), so I didn't realize that was the concept. Scratch it. As for the past, I don't think young Earth is terribly original or interesting, but seeing a 23rd Century Starship thrust back to when the Q were in a similar time of their evolution would be cool. There are a lot of ancient races and events (especially in TOS) that the show could occasionally reference or actually delve into. Plus, there could be major differences between the technologies--sort of like how the wheel didn't factor into the building of ancient mesoamerica, and you end up with different technologies and cultures growing up there, the far east, and the middle east all at the same time.
The show could exploit just how alien these earlier cultures are and explore how similar the current Trek aliens are, despite their well-established differences.

I would rather see a show set in the new movie universe, TOS was always the more exciting show for me as the ones set after fealt too comfortable (apart from DS9) and it would be more interesting to actually explore strange new worlds in a universe that is familiar but not bound to the detail of 40 years of writing.
Yeah, I understand that. I think the series in my head would be bound to the canon, so if you aren't into that, then this may not be for you. And I agree with your criticisms too. There's probably no perfect series to pitch, but I think there's the kernel of a good idea here.