View Single Post
Old November 28 2012, 02:52 AM   #144
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Minuet wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
A personal score to settle - wait we're getting another gods-damned revenge story? I've honestly lost count of how many revenge Trek films in a row there have been...

No strange new worlds or new life and new civilization?
Comic Book Guy: "Worst. Synopsis. Ever."
The movies aren't about big ideas. They're about lasers and explosions and sword fights and cute little cuddly engineer sidekicks that look like mutated Furbies.

But that's what we've been reduced to. The standard Hollywood audience has no attention span for big ideas anymore. Ironically, the two most maligned films of TOS, The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier, were the closest to the original television show in terms of story scope--big sci-fi ideas and concepts that make you think.

So, you know, the new film is going to be fun. I'm sure it will be. But if they were trying to reboot the old show with the new films and update it for a new audience, there's no question that something was lost in translation. And I really, really enjoyed the 2009 film. It's just...I feel like Gene would have said the same thing. It's missing heart. The tone is completely off.

I'm optimistic though. I hope it'll get better over time.
It won't. Hollywood is making too much $$$ off empty, dimbulb action flicks to change the formula. Some of them are a bit less dumb that average - Star Trek's at the upper end of that continuum - but this movie is going to be the usual simplistic "our heroes fight the dangerous villain who is easy to explain to the audience" approach that offers the best chance at big box office.

That's why I've been saying it's gonna be Gary Mitchell and not Khan for a while now. Mitchell is easy and quick to explain to the uninitiated, Khan not so much if you have to start from scratch with no revenge plot set up by TV. I don't care which one we see personally and I know why Khan is a non-starter, so I'm not going to stress about any of this.

If you want smart Trek, pray for a return to TV, ideally cable or maybe Netflix if Moonves is feeling adventurous, but the level of intelligence we've seen lately in the movies is as good as its going to get. In fact, I expect less intelligence and more action now that the backstory setup is out of the way.