View Single Post
Old November 28 2012, 12:44 AM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: storm and floods in GB - is everyone ok?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
There is, if I wanted to leave the house at 6.45am, stand around in the cold and rain as it is late every day, spend 70 minutes on the bus each way, pay 6 a day, and cope with the regular driver's strikes.
Sounds like paradise, compared to Public transport in Bavaria!
When we get good weather [...]there is nowhere I would rather be.
I'll definitely put Falmouth on my to-see list for my next vacation in GB It sounds like an awesome place to visit.

Bridge foundations are always the weak point in a flood because they usually aren't wide enough and so instead of running between the two ends of the bridge, the water hits them with full force, often carving them out of the surrounding soil. Also, fallen trees and other debris tend to get caught in bridges, they block the water's path and increase the pressure so that the bridges often get torn away as a whole. What really makes me furious is people standing on bridges and watching the flood. It's so damned risky!
You would think they would know better, after all it was only a couple of years ago when parts of Cumbria flooded, that a bridge gave way, costing the life of a Police Officer who was directing traffic off the bridge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8369934.stm
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote