View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 09:24 PM   #105
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
And Star Trek has never really been summer blockbuster material either. When it tries to be is when it's at its worst. That's why I maintain Star Trek's true home is on television. That's where it has the freedom to tell the stories it wants to tell. And that's where it needs to go back to.
It failed on television because the shows told the same stories in the same ways, over and over, for decades. Only a couple of million trekkies continued to care.
Agreed, but if they keep churning out the same old tired 'revenge' device the theatre audience might start to realize the failings of recycling this device.

I'm still stoked on the movie (even though it's too late by a year at least) and I'll still see it, I just wish the intellectuals in the seats would be given something to mull over besides "he hurt me, I'll hurt him back until he's dead."

I know I said that I'd 'honestly lost track' of this... so I guess I lied. But this is where we are:

There were no revenge concepts in plot A of The Motion Picture, The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier and Generations. Since Generations it's been like a skipping record.

REVENGE PLOT

1. Bad man causes trouble to the world (galaxy), the captain and his ship
2. Captain chases the bad man. People die. Things explode.
3. Captain gets his revenge by killing the bad man.

CASE STUDIES:

Wrath of Khan (Khan), The Undiscovered Country (Chang), First Contact (Borg), Insurrection (Ru'afo), Nemesis (Shinzon), Trek XI (Nero).

NOTABLE QUOTES:

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
Captain Kirk, Star Trek: The Undiscovered County

"And I... will make them pay for what they've done!"
Captain Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

"I got your gun."
Acting Captain Kirk, Star Trek XI

Last edited by billcosby; November 28 2012 at 03:39 AM.