View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 12:58 PM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: data department change in chain of command

Melakon wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
. . .it doesn't make sense to me that he got promoted to the rank of Captain and then got bumped back down to Commander. . . So why couldn't Riker have retained the rank of Captain but still been first officer?
Again, it was a field promotion.

"Commander Riker, I hereby promote you to the field commission of Captain. The Enterprise is your ship now. Congratulations." -- Admiral Hanson

Hanson died during the Battle of Wolf 359. It's possible official orders were never drawn up. It's also possible Riker personally requested a reduction of rank after learning Picard would return to the Enterprise.

For further information, see Memory Alpha's article on provisional officers, which specifically mentions Riker's situation. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Provisional_officer
I would say the later is more likely as surely the log of the communication would be sufficent record of the promotion.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote