View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 07:22 AM   #1224
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

132. Life of Pi (A)

After spending a solid week or so working on two law school papers, I finally have time to see a movie. What a nice break.

Ang Lee takes on Yann Martel's Booker-winning novel, which no doubt required quite a bit of ingenuity to translate to the screen, given its nature. The result is the most superb and assured craft I've yet seen this year; they should probably award the Oscars for cinematography and visual effects right now. Suraj Sharma, who plays the title character, surely has made one of the most difficult acting debuts in recent memory. He pretty much carries the picture, acting for most of his screentime opposite only (very convincing) visual effects (though having as skilled a director as Lee no doubt helps quite a lot).

It's not perfect (I could quibble with pieces of the beginning and end, particularly the very end, which seems almost to glide past the impact of the big reveal), but it's a pretty stunning artistic achievement.

Cinema: 44 (+1)
Home Video: 75
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote