View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 06:31 AM   #155
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
According to a study done by Oxford University researchers the 10 most irritating phrases are

1 – At the end of the day
2 – Fairly unique
3 – I personally
4 – At this moment in time
5 – With all due respect
6 – Absolutely
7 – It’s a nightmare
8 – Shouldn’t of
9 – 24/7
10 – It’s not rocket science
That list reads like a "Which one doesn't belong?" test. The one that doesn't belong is number 8. It's flat-out incorrect, while the others are just overused phrases.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Few days ago my engine died (bad alternator, fried the battery too) in a busy 4 way intersection. Was trying to push it out of the way when a bicyclist rode up, stopped and asked what happened, told him and his says "Talk about your first world problems" with a smug tone.
Maybe the guy didn't understand what a "First World problem" actually is. Did he think poorer countries don't have traffic problems? Come to think of it, less developed countries are more likely to be full of older, well-used vehicles that break down frequently.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's not so much a phrase that's greatly common (at least I don't think it is) but it's an "in-joke" of sorts in my family, the phrase "The point and fact is..." it's something my dad says all of the time to preface his opinion on something as being the "final word" on the subject. (Regardless if it's a point or even a fact.)
"In point of fact" is the way the phrase is supposed to go, I'm pretty sure.
That's like saying "the proof is in the pudding," which makes no sense at all. The actual phrase is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
. . .(white people saying, in affected ghetto-speak) "N'a'hm sayin'?"
Who the hell says that?

Last edited by scotpens; November 27 2012 at 06:44 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote