View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 05:23 AM   #32
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watch

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Yeah, but shows like Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory are all shot before a live studio audience. The shows may record the audience responses and drop them in later, but that doesn't detract from the audience reaction to those shows. And on shows like Mother, scenes will be pre-taped and shown to the audiences in sequence for tapings precisely so their reactions can be recorded. So I'm really not getting your point.
My point is, I always associate the term "laugh track" with machine-generated laughter. If this is no longer accurate, then that's good, and I stand corrected.

As I said, though, it's easy for me to let it slide with Red Green because in that show, the performers openly speak directly to the audience - the show is about a show. (Basically it's what Home Improvement would have been like if it was all "Tool Time".) Even if modern laugh tracks *are* studio audiences, it's not quite the same thing.
If you watch the outtakes for big bang theory, some are actually caused by the audiance laughing/reacting at odd times, or interrupting a line of dialogue.