View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 05:04 AM   #86
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

JD wrote: View Post
I've never understood what the problems are with female lead action movies. Is it just sexism or is there more to it?
I think a big part of the appeal of action movies in general is protagonist identification and wish fulfillment: when I see and Iron Man or a Bond movie, I get to pretend/wish I was the guy, beating up baddies, wielding awesome gadgets and getting the girls. But as rich and badass as, say, Jolie's Lara Croft is, I don't at any level, even a subconscious one, want to be her, because I'm fine with being a dude. And, if she gets in a romance with a dude... well, I don't want to be her then, either. Whereas when Bond asks Agent Fields to help him find the hotel stationery... that's a different story.

Now, I enjoy watching dramas, comedies, and other genres with leading female roles just fine. I loved Prometheus a I dug Hanna. But...

JD wrote: View Post
Personally, I love kick ass women and would be one of the first people in line for a good Ms. Marvel, or Wonder Woman movie.
I like strong female characters as much as anyone, but am not super-nuts about seeing superwomen kick and toss men around. Call that sexism if you like, I guess. I'd happily see a WW movie if the reviews were good enough, but I'm not clamoring for one.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote