View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 04:47 AM   #410
Lieutenant Commander
Re: The Official Welcome Thread

Hi there.

Trek geek female here. Mostly a fan of old-Trek, but I rather enjoyed the 2009 film, if only for the quality of the performances. I really felt that the set design nearly ruined the experience for me (brewery engineering contrasted against the Apple Store bridge, it just doesn't make any sense--and I want desperately for this not to be a problem, I mean I try very hard, and I can't shake it), as well as the tone. The tone was off. Everything happened super-fast and streamlined. The plot moved too quickly, with barely any character development or meaningful character interaction. It felt like any other space opera action film from the '00s. I even compare TOS to the new film and it fails to convey the same tone, the same optimism for the future, the same vision of a modern, liberal future where people work together to further humanity. No, this was all lasers and explosions. Still, it was enjoyable as yer standard action-adventure romp. I liked it. It just never felt like Trek to me.

That said, I loved the characters. I loved that there was more Star Trek on the big screen. I'm willing to give it another chance. Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like it'll be fun. We shall see.
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline   Reply With Quote