View Single Post
Old November 27 2012, 03:34 AM   #792
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

throwback wrote: View Post
With camps killing each other over resources, there won't be many survivors left in the end. Eventually, someone has to say this crap has to end, and begin the process of consolidating camps.
The Governor--and his lead gaurd do not seem to use logical projections about the probabilty of survivng wars while walkers will simply be attracted to the noise, and move in for the kill.

As for Andrea, I think she is a lost soul who is looking for something she didn't have when she was growing up. I watch crime dramas and they describe such people. For instance, the followers of Jim Jones. When Andrea hugged the Governor, I thought of a child hugging a father. Her smile clinched it for me.
I see her as a chronically horny woman who is also not the most moral person in the world (remember she was once all "Go Shane!") and will side with anyone not "troubled" with the bigger moral questions--like the aforementioned Shane & now the Governor.

It's interesting that Michionne picked up on the fact that the Governor is a Jim Jones-type leader. It's rather scary when I think about. The implications for Woodbury's future are not great. Jim Jones convinced by force of will or force of gun to have his followers kill themselves when their community was facing imminent destruction. Would the Governor in the same situation order the destruction of every man, woman, and child in his community?

There are other parallels between Jim Jones and the Governor. Both acted to kill anyone who left the community. Both acted without thought for the future of the community - Jones had his people kill an official representative of the US government, along with his entourage, and people who chose to leave the community, thus bringing about the ire of the host country, and the Governor is planning an operation that will reduce his manpower, when it has been suggested that individuals from the prison community might be on their way to liberate their people. Unless the people in the prison community act stupidly, they can wait out the recon party until Rick gets back to dispose them of as he will.
I don't think the Governor will go into "White Night" mode (the suicide drills practiced by Peoples Temple/Jonestown), and kill his own people unless the random individual tries to attack him. He's about keeping control over the living, and replacing those who do not get on board--in other words, no doomsday threat/plans used against his own people.

Jones regularly used the idea of "revolutionary suicide" as a means of testing loyalty and the threat of death always bubbling under the surface, while the Governor--surrounded by literal walking death--uses the bait of a restored civilization as his top controlling tool.