View Single Post
Old November 26 2012, 09:59 PM   #204
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

It's intriguing to me how pessimistic about technological progress most people are on a forum devoted to Star Trek and related science fiction.

Instead of responding to the fringe singularity movement by saying well actually we can expect progress in a, b, and c, but not necessarily d and e, we just have a broad lampooning of any sincere optimism in the future.

This is in contrast to attitudes prevalent as recently as the 1960's. This confirms Peter Thiel's observation that people no longer believe not just in the future, but in much of anything anymore. He goes on to note that in such a period of "political atheism" and I would add technological atheism, to be a contrarian is to be the rare person with sincere belief.

Edit: I would add that it's obvious that an age of unbelief of technology would not produce something like the original Star Trek today. Even its remake exemplifies the shift of the zeitgeist. I'm with Neal Stephenson on this one: we need more techno-optimism in science fiction and our popular culture in general. We may have been badly oversold on the future in the 20th century but our current pessimism is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of stagnation.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote