View Single Post
Old November 26 2012, 08:53 PM   #149
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Well, I can't remember who coined the term, or every critical essay I read thirty-plus years ago, but I suspect the idea was to come up with a more inclusive label that acknowledged that there was more to "science fiction" than just the whole John W. Campbell Astonishing/Analog school of nuts-and-bolts sf. There was also Bradbury and Edgar Rice Burroughs and Sturgeon and Ellison and Spinrad and Silverberg and Delany and LeGuin and Russ and so on, whose work was arguably more about the "fiction" than the "science."
I know that Ellison favored the term at least as early as the first Dangerous Visions (1968), if not before, and it's believed that the term may have been coined by Heinlein in the late 1940s.
Interesting. My money would have been on Moorcock, not Heinlein.
Arguments could be made for even earlier origins, apparently*.

Boy, this whole discussion takes me back. Next we'll be debating the "New Wave" . . .
That's a debate I'll leave to others, I think. The more labels and definitions people come up with, the fuzzier and more wiggly the lines get between this, that, and the other. I'm quite happy to be lazy and let it all be speculative fiction, really - that's descriptive enough for me.

* Link stolen from Wiki article on Speculative fiction

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 26 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: link
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote