View Single Post
Old November 26 2012, 04:04 AM   #353
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Well, first of all, I don't trust Soong as being a 100% reliable narrator, particularly at this highly volatile nexus of his jealousy for Vaslovik and his unrequited love for Juliana. His use of the terms you noted strike me as deliberately not including the possibility that they may have been targeted by the Borg. That seems to me to reflect an unconscious refusal to consider that possibility, which would color his account of what he saw.

That said, Soong does note that some "blackened timbers remained upright," and that is harder (though not impossible) to reconcile with my theory of a Borg attack.
The Borg attacks of 2381 were substantially more indiscriminate than that. Soong's own Yutani IIIa was subjected to a bombardment that vapourized its largest bodies of water, set the entire planet on fire, and left it dead and quite uninhabitable.

If the Borg had attacked Vaslovik and Tainer's world, then there wouldn't be ruined. There would only be an uninhabitable wasteland, with nothing so intact as charred timbers.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote