View Single Post
Old November 25 2012, 11:11 AM   #789
Timo47
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Takeru wrote: View Post
I'm not really interested in the explanation, some of the pics I've seen of season two suck, there's no nicer way to say it, it looks like blurry crap. I don't care if it's better than what is on the DVDs, what matters is that it looks worse than season 1 on Blu-Ray and that is inexcusable.
I think some of these shots do look worse than the DVD's: lightening on the ships looks flat, shadows are missing, ... It's not because the new image is in a higher resolution that it's also automatically better. What's IN that high resolution image must also count for something.

Takeru wrote: View Post
After I've seen what's possible I will not accept anything less, I can tolerate it this time and I will support the project by buying season 2 but I hope the guys in charge realize that they made a mistake with season 2 and replace the people working on it, they are clearly no match for the other team.
I seriously doubt anything like that is going to happen. According to the interview, everybody over at CBS is patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

In terms of planets, I wouldn't be surprised if seasons 3, 5 and 7 end up looking more like season 2 rather than the other way around. At least that's what I read between the lines from this part of the interview where Max Gabl's work is merely described as experimental:

Mike Okuda wrote:
We did that back when we remastered the Original Series, and thatís how Max [Gabl] ended up with his style at CBS Digital, simply by experimenting over a number of episodes.
Denise Okuda wrote:
But also remember that we had Dan Curry! He would put forth his opinion of his artistic view on the planets and many other things. That also was a great deal of fun, to have a guy who has worked on the original help us with the decision making and keep an eye on the remastering.
The worst thing of course will be that after TNG has been completed these guys will probably also be hired to work on DS9 which relied even more than TNG on shadows.

throwback wrote: View Post
Why do I get the feeling that there was a contest of wills, and what we are seeing is the compromise that was reached to please both.
What I took from the interview is that Dan Curry is in charge of the second team and everyone is perfectly happy with that. I don't think there was a contest. The Okoda's simply seem to allow each team to do their own thing as long as it fits within the (too?) general directive of "matching the original effects" using original elements when possible.
Timo47 is offline   Reply With Quote