View Single Post
Old November 25 2012, 09:51 AM   #259
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I dunno about anyone else, but I'm very much enjoying the look of the show so far. Sure, it isn't exactly photo-realistic ... but it's more than close enough for me to suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy the action.
i'm conflicted about the aesthetics. not-quite-photo-realistic seems antithetical to the BSG experience to me.

battlestar worked because it was real - even though it was about very unreal things, it always felt tangible and the people always felt real. that's mostly lacking in blood & chrome which feels like a video game. sure it's a video game set in one of my favorite fictional universes and it's expanding that universe and giving it more color, but it's in no way tangible - which is what drew me to that universe in the first place.

so we can either chalk this to deliberate stylistic differences between BSG's gritty realism and caprica's soap operatics and now B&C's video game frivolity. or, more likely, it's just trying to recapture something great and achieving diminishing returns.