View Single Post
Old November 25 2012, 03:38 AM   #14
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

WOW!!

5 stars out of 5. Outstanding.

Just finished it, about 18 hours after finishing TPoM (about seven of those hours were spent sleeping), about 30 hours after getting both books from Barnes and Noble.

For those who are reading this in an e-mail digest (where spoiler tags don’t work):

MANY MANY MANY SPOILERS AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Literally cannot think of a single thing I did not like about this novel. Everything worked for me. There were a couple of things I was less crazy about while I was in the middle of the story
but even those elements became completely redeemed by the end of the story.

Worth saying that SW has redeemed key aspects of TPoM, raising my opinion of the latter (mainly by assuring that certain elements of the latter were indeed followed up on in the former).

Just listing off things that were great, off the top of my head, in no particular order and not representing a comprehensive list:

Mack struck a perfect balance between character moments and plot development, between big-picture and small-picture, between politics and action.

In my mind, this novel, on its own, has surpassed Destiny and Raise the Dawn. Silent Weapons is now the high bar against which I will compare subsequent Trek novels.

As I said, 5 stars out of 5. Outstanding.

Last edited by Paper Moon; November 25 2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: forgot something
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote