Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old November 25 2012, 02:21 AM   #423
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Ancient Aliens

RAMA wrote: View Post
The almost infinitesimal degree to which ancient alien believers may be right (and this isn't really a case of them being right, but some advanced tech, like batteries, or some vague artwork on a wall, or some other advancements in tech that disappeared and reappeared, or even Nazca lines--in which ancients likely had balloon technology, and possibly used that to survey them) compared to what Hawking and others have claimed with careful research based on sound extrapolation is not comparable. This is one of Alpha's silliest claims.
That's not even my claim though. Much more to the point: if Stephen Hawking came out in support of the Ancient Aliens theory, would that lend more credibility to the theory, or would it damage his own?

Some people would use the term, evolution, only for the internally transmitted genetic material, and would object to it being applied to information handed down externally. But I think that is too narrow a view. We are more than just our genes.
This is Stephen Hawking apparently not knowing or caring that biological evolution -- e.g. speciation and phenotypical change over time -- and social/cultural/political evolution are entirely different subjects operating on entirely different timescales and aren't actually related to each other at all.

Try replacing the word "evolution" in that sentence with "sex" or "procreation" to get the gist of that concept. Hawking is oversimplifying the concept tremendously and then assuming that everyone else does too. He is, in other words, coming at it from the position of a layperson. Michio Kaku is another who does this on a fairly regular basis, apparently unaware that evolutionary biology is entirely different field from sociology or history.

But we are now entering a new phase, of what Hawking calls "self designed evolution," in which we will be able to change and improve our DNA.
I missed the part where Hawking explains how the entire human species will have unrestricted access to this technology, how natural selection will be universally and permanently mitigated, or how humanity manages to make this technical innovation permanent even in the event of natural disasters, wars or other unpredictable upheavals.

Remember earlier how I mentioned you were clinging only to the most optimistic projections of the best case scenario? This is a pristine example of that behavior.