View Single Post
Old November 24 2012, 11:32 PM   #345
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
Data knows where Juliana is - with Vaslovik. Soong saw them together, and Data has Soong's memories. He has no reason to believe that his search for Vaslovik won't also reunite him with his mother.
All I'm saying is that, technically, all Data knows is that Soong remembers seeing Juliana and Vaslovik together in 2375. He doesn't know the circumstances in which Vaslovik's mansion burned down, and he doesn't have confirmation that Juliana survived the Borg Invasion.

Just because Juliana was with Vaslovik in 2375 doesn't mean she's still with him nine years later.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Still, though, if that is the case, I am still puzzled why Data does not put more emphasis on finding his mother as well as Vaslovik. But I figure that will be addressed in the next two books.
If you were in a situation where you had the opportunity to a) be reunited with a mother that you knew was alive and well and b) bring your dead daughter back to life, I think that, no matter how much you might be looking forward to a), you'd consider b) much more urgent.
Obviously (b) is more urgent to Data, but that urgency doesn't prevent him from briefly acknowledging her continued existence. It'd be a minor matter of semantics. And furthermore, beyond what Soong saw in 2375, do we have any evidence that Juliana is still active?
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote