View Single Post
Old November 24 2012, 09:20 PM   #198
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Why writing it down? It's just religious faith-based nonsense.

Unlike any of the various Raptures, the Singularity is a technological event, caused by ordinary humans, doing ordinary science, building ordinary technology which follows the ordinary laws of physics. It does not involve any religious or divine powers. It doesnít involve outside intervention by superior or alien beings. And itís completely within our control as a species- it will only happen when we go out and make it happen.
Which doesn't change the fact that it is a religious faith-based worldview. The meaningful element here is that you have already internalized your articles of faith:
- The Singularity is coming
- The Singularity will be a good thing
- Those who believe in the singularity will be the first to benefit from it.

The rest of this is you RATIONALIZING what you've already decided to believe. Several times, you attempted to claim that it's not irrational because it doesn't appeal to the supernatural. That is a distinction without a difference; just because you've replaced the Book of Revelations with Ghost in the Shell doesn't make your worldview any less faith-based.
Well of course, this is untrue in general, there is, as always a subculture in almost any belief/endeavor that may believe such things, and as I point out fairly frequently there is enough support to show that the conditions and developments needed are actually happening all the time around us. It's interesting to note that I've seen 2-3 fairly significant developments with AI that have been reported in the last few days, I might be one of the conservative ones with my estimates...

RAMA