Old November 24 2012, 06:59 PM   #332
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
P.S.:

:
I thought this too at first, but as Christopher remimded me...
Yeah, I more meant in terms of big-picture stuff, mainly
(Nor do I think TPoM is

Christopher wrote: View Post
And Paper Moon, I'm surprised it felt like a downer to you. I found it a rather optimistic book, aside from one character's fate.
This:

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I want Data to return to the Enterprise. He's a being of immense potential; does it really serve him well as a character to keep him stuck in the same role in the same place for decades?
Christopher you should know by now that obsessive trek fans don't care about a character's potential. They just want to see them do the same thing over and over and over again so they can have to same group of characters together for all eternity even if it stopped making since decades before
I mean, also, on reflection, I do realize that my misconception about the
not being not continued in the rest of the trilogy really colored my perception of the overall book. I just read the first page, well, actually, the Historian's Note for Silent Weapons, so I know he continues to be a focus.

As I said, it really sucks when you think that a particular plot element stands a real chance of never getting resolved, and you don't like where it's been left. (For example, see people's reactions to the Ascendant arc at the end of DS9-R, Sisko's position in RBoE or, heck, Janeway's death in Before Dishonor. With the [glaring] exception of the former, all of these caused quite a stir because it looked like they would never be followed up on.) I was worried that Mr. Mack
to have him available for further, not-yet-contracted stories. So it was like,

And on some level, yeah, I want *The Character* back on the Enterprise. Even if he's still
I want to see him interacting with Picard, Worf, Crusher, La Forge, the newbies... it may not be as plausible in terms of character development, but there's a good chance it'll be a helluva lot more fun, at least, for me.

So I would say my downer about *The Character* were more a result of his
and of his brief appearance, which I misconceptualized as being his only appearance.

I realize these reactions are highly personalized ones to valid editorial and story-telling decisions. And I can see how the book is, in many ways, optimistic. (For Chrissake,
And it makes me very happy that Mr. Mack decided to tell a bold new story. It just struck some of the wrong chords with me. (And I know that that is totally, "it's not you, it's me." )
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote