View Single Post
Old November 24 2012, 04:55 PM   #33
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Is The Science Channel after our hearts?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm not talking about the level of science here. That's got nothing to do with it. When I'm talking about "sci-fi" versus "science fiction,"
But what I'm saying is there is no seperate category for "sci-fi" in bookstores.

There are no seperate labels or awards for "sci-fi" books.

The term was originally coined as a shortening of science fiction and - other than use as a derogatory term, which yes, I am familiar with - it doesn't have any further concrete meaning.

How science fiction is used as a genre signifier in literature and media is not basically different. Red Dwarf and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are basically in the same genre box.

Countless people, critics, magazines, bookstores, etc. use the term "sci-fi" to encompass SF, fantasy, horror, sometimes even stuff like James Bond movies -- the whole continuum of fantastic/genre fiction perceived as a blended whole.
Which one finds - in specifically literature tersm - with science fiction and fantasy usually sharing the same shelf space, and with the current popularity of slipstreaming fiction that is either both science fiction and fantasy or is otherwise ambiguous in its genre relationships.
"Why call it Syfy if it's not just science fiction?"
On that subject, right now two of the three science fiction series I'm watching are Syfy's HD broadcasts of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation and their broadcast of Showcase's Continuum. The third seasons is the Syfy produced webseries Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome.

While it's true the first two cases are Syfy's UK channel and thus not applicate to American viewers, the station is still doing pretty okay by me.