View Single Post
Old November 24 2012, 04:34 PM   #156
Una McCormack
Writer

Re: TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Rush Limborg, thank you for your kind words about Ezri Dax! I'd love to write her again. I've always had a lot of sympathy for Ezri; I suspect I have quite a lot in common with her. Apart from the symbiont.

Paper Moon, thank you so much for that terrific review! I'm delighted that so much about the book worked for you. A couple of people have now compared Tzenkethi society to North Korea, which I find very interesting. I'm not sure I had that consciously in mind, although I've read a fair about about North Korea over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of that had filtered through. Ab-Tzenketh is certainly a more abundant world: right down at the lowest level there is enough food and certain comforts, as Efheny notes throughout. I don't think the ruling Tzenkethi class is extracting so much wealth that the rest of the population is reduced to subsistence level. Part of what makes the society stable is that everyone is basically comfortable, and there's a great deal of natural or crafted beauty.

Thanks for your point about Picard's stereotyping throughout. Planet of Hats is a very difficult trope to manage and I hope that in general I'm interrogating it. Sometimes it doesn't quite work, and it seems this was one of those occasions for you. I'll try harder, should there be a next time!

Last edited by Una McCormack; November 24 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Subject-verb agreement and tenses.
Una McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote