View Single Post
Old November 23 2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Sony's credit rating cut to "junk"...Implications for Spider-Man?

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Another factor may be how separate Sony keeps its entertainment division from its manufacturing division. If they're all free-standing divisions, with 'Chinese walls' (or Japanese walls in this case) between them, then Sony's tv and electronics may not be able to benefit from the sale of their ents division - it all depends on how creatively their accounts are set up.

And it should also be remembered that Marvel studios are notoriously thrifty. If Spidey's right go up to the highest bidder, then, while we would all like to think that Marvel is the webslinger's natural home - but they could well be outbid by another studio.
Or Disney could buy the rights to Spider Man, that would be the next best thing. No one has more money than Disney. If they think they'll profit by giving Marvel access to Spidey, they'll spend the dough. It would be peanuts compared to what they spent getting their hands on Star Wars.
That's a good point, I'd forgotten about Disney's deep pockets. Of course, having spent all that money on Spider-man and with them already having the Marvel movie verse rights, Disney may not want to spend all that money on yet another franchise.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think both screen versions of Spidey are good, and I like it that they take very different approaches so that they complement each other. The first film suffered a bit by having to cover some of the same beats of the origin, but that shouldn't be a problem going forward (well, depending on what they do with the Osborns).
You mean the first of the Webb movies, as oppose to the first of all the big screen Spidey movies (the 2002 one), right?

Dream wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
And it should also be remembered that Marvel studios are notoriously thrifty. If Spidey's right go up to the highest bidder, then, while we would all like to think that Marvel is the webslinger's natural home - but they could well be outbid by another studio.
Or they might regain the rights for nothing, depending on the exact nature of their contract with Sony. If the rights are "non-transferrable", then ONLY Sony would have the right to make Spider-Man under that contract. An end to Sony's entertainment division might see an automatic reversion of rights to Marvel.

I don't KNOW that's the case, but such a restrictive contract would be typical of Marvel.
Well, let's look at how FOX tried to deal with its expiring Daredevil rights before it finally reverted back to Marvel.

There were NEVER any talks about selling the rights to any other studio right?
I think part of the problem there was that by the time it became evident that Fox couldn't get their DD reboot up in time to avoid the reversion of the rights, the property was basically unsellable. Fox tried to get a relaunch with David Slade at the helm and then, after he bailed, Joe Carnahan made an unsuccessful pitch. By the time Fox decided that they didn't want to make the movie, the rights were only weeks away from expiring.

So even if Fox could have sold on the rights to another studio - and you may well be right that there is a restrictive covenant about selling on the rights, I don't honestly know the answer - the reality is that no other studio was going to do so as they were also going to have to get the whole shebang into operation in an unfeasibly short period of time.