View Single Post
Old November 22 2012, 06:54 AM   #1211
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

^ Me neither. I'll have to look it up. I loved Safety Not Guaranteed.

313. Robotech: The Sentinels (✩✩✩½) - DVD - This isn't really a movie, it's the first three episodes of a failed TV series that was to serve as the sequel/spinoff to Robotech. It's a pretty good follow-up to the first season of the show. It's a shame that funding fell through and this didn't go to series.

314. What's Your Number? (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - The title refers to the number of people you've slept with and it's about a young woman who's distraught over how many guys she's slept with and wants one of the guys on her list to be The One so that she doesn't go over her present number. Stars Anna Faris and Chris Evans. It also sports an impressive supporting cast that includes Blythe Danner, Ed Begley Jr. and Joel McHale, with appearances by Zachary Quinto, Martin Freeman and Andy Samberg. It's a formulaic sex comedy, but it was a lot of fun. I loved it. I also just read that Anna Faris's husband is in the movie.

315. Dragonball: Evolution (✩✩✩) - DVD - A live action take on the Dragon Ball cartoon. I've never seen the animated series, but I've seen bits and bites and I got the impression that the live action characters captured their animated counterparts alright. This movie has been trashed mercilessly, but I enjoyed a lot of it. It was colorful and fun even if the end battle lacked originality. It also had an impressive cast consisting of Chow Yun-Fat, James Marsters, Ernie Hudson and Emmy Rossum. The star, Justin Chatwin is also Rossum's co-star on Shameless. Gotta check that out.

316. Perfect Sense (✩✩✩✩½) - On Demand - Two lovers, a chef and a research doctor cope with a world where an epidemic is taking away everyone's senses one by one. First, people lose their sense of smell, then a few weeks later, taste, and so forth, and each time, society has to adjust until it can't anymore. It's a little slow at first and it can be artsy but otherwise I found this to be a pretty compelling piece of scifi drama. It's very much like Blindness and Children of Men. It stars Ewan McGreggor and Eva Green. I wish this movie was getting more attention among scifi fans. See it. It's worth checking out.

317. Red Dawn (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Saw this remake and found it to be an enjoyable action thriller, but otherwise, it's nothing to write home about. It's got a good looking cast that includes Chris Hemsworth. He's pretty good as the all-american ex military lead/big brother. He also reminded me of Stringfellow Hawke from Airwolf. If they ever do a remake, he should get the part. I also enjoyed Will Yun Lee as one of the North Koreans. He's always good. There was a scene that was taken from the original, it was when they killed the deer and one of the boys had to drink the blood. I rolled my eyes when it came up, but loved what they did with it in the end. It was the most memorable scene in the movie. And with the way the film ended, it looks like they want to leave room for a sequel.

318. Silver Linings Playbook (✩✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - Two screwed up people, one a bipolar ex-teacher fresh out of a mental institution, and the other, a depressive sex addict, find eachother. Stars Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro. And it looks like Chris Tucker came out of retirement for this one. This was an excellent movie. Out of the over 300 I've seen this year, this is the 6th to get 5 stars. It's witty, sharp and tells a good story about two people and their problems. Plus, the two leads had great chemistry and really delivered. And let's be honest, they're good looking and they're at the top of their game right now.

Theatre: 22
DVD/Blu-ray: 122
Live TV: 121
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 44
Internet: 4

Last edited by Agent Richard07; November 22 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote