View Single Post
Old November 22 2012, 03:12 AM   #53
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
But I do think it happens sometimes, that an opportunity will present itself while you are in a bad situation--one that can be taken advantage of. Perhaps it's one that wouldn't have crossed your path under other circumstances, or wouldn't have been so blatant.

However, it doesn't make the bad right or justifiable. I see it more like salvaging something that is broken for parts. The broken thing doesn't stop being broken even though you got away with something instead of nothing.

The blithe manner in which most people use the saying, "Everything happens for a reason," to suggest being grateful that someone or something hurt you, is bad because it makes the wrong or evil seem justifiable or excusable, and that one shouldn't stand up to it. That is something I don't care for.

Looking for opportunities to escape or take something away from a situation, on the other hand, is empowering because it means not just sitting there and accepting/condoning it. It counteracts learned helplessness.
I agree that sometimes something positive can be salvaged from a bad situation. However, it's never why the situation occurred, so "everything happens for a reason" is never justified. Whether said blithely or not.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote