View Single Post
Old November 22 2012, 03:02 AM   #52
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
There's plenty of bad situations that are bad. Not good. Won't be good. There' nothing good in them. They're ultimately bad. And their results are only bad. If something is in spite of bad situations, it would be there even if the bad wouldn't have happened, so why to involve the bad at all. Let's have the good without that bad.

So I agree with Tora Ziyal and trekkiebaggio, this saying is horrible
I didn't say that ALL bad situations can be exploited by every person to create some good.

But I do think it happens sometimes, that an opportunity will present itself while you are in a bad situation--one that can be taken advantage of. Perhaps it's one that wouldn't have crossed your path under other circumstances, or wouldn't have been so blatant.

However, it doesn't make the bad right or justifiable. I see it more like salvaging something that is broken for parts. The broken thing doesn't stop being broken even though you got away with something instead of nothing.

The blithe manner in which most people use the saying, "Everything happens for a reason," to suggest being grateful that someone or something hurt you, is bad because it makes the wrong or evil seem justifiable or excusable, and that one shouldn't stand up to it. That is something I don't care for.

Looking for opportunities to escape or take something away from a situation, on the other hand, is empowering because it means not just sitting there and accepting/condoning it. It counteracts learned helplessness.