Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Sayings that you hate now

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
"Everything happens for a reason."

Well, yeah, everything has a cause. But most people who say this mean that there's some deliberate purpose for this thing to have happened, like the universe did it deliberately, and therefore this horrendous thing is somehow good for you. Grrrrr.
I was just about to post this one.
I think it is much more accurate to say that good can be brought out of bad situations in spite of the evil that has been done, not because of it as though those evil things are right or justified. The means do not justify the ends.

I think that one can exploit even bad circumstances and should try to do so where possible, to bring about better things. It doesn't make the bad circumstances okay.
There's plenty of bad situations that are bad. Not good. Won't be good. There' nothing good in them. They're ultimately bad. And their results are only bad. If something is in spite of bad situations, it would be there even if the bad wouldn't have happened, so why to involve the bad at all. Let's have the good without that bad.

So I agree with Tora Ziyal and trekkiebaggio, this saying is horrible

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote