View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 08:16 PM   #77
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

umichigan wrote: View Post

My intention was not exclude anyone, merely to remind that it was those who came before and watched Trek in syndication for years (on channel 50, Kaiser Broadcasting in Detroit, where it all started) that helped to establish the vast universe of Trek in which you reside. If not for a devotion to TOS and its characters by individuals along with me, YOUR hobby and devotion to Abrams would have no purchase.
It's been my observation that a significant portion of those who enjoyed the latest take on Trek are the same ones who have been watching since Trek's original run (you know: the part which came before 1970s syndication). Further, the notion that a divide exists strictly along the lines of older fans/new fans or older generation/younger generation has been demonstrated again and again to be a faulty assumption - it simply isn't true.

If you didn't like what Abrams & Co. have done, well, then - you didn't like it, and that's your prerogative. Let's not pretend, however, that anyone is owed anything for having been a fan all those years. It's just a TV show and a series of movies, after all.

umichigan wrote:
If you want to like the alternate Trek, feel free to do so but stop trying to change the minds of those who feel otherwise. What we loved was tainted, likely beyond repair. We're never going to be happy about that.
Again, if you decide to be unhappy, that's your prerogative, and I won't attempt to dissuade you from it. Do try to bear in mind, however, that you're not speaking for all of the old fans, and that not all of us are necessarily of the opinion that anything has been tainted (whether beyond repair or otherwise.)