View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 07:38 PM   #375
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

I always used to wish that Jerry Goldsmith had scored more Trek movies so that one could assemble a library of cues you could use to assemble "soundtracks" for novels or comics set in the TOS movie era. It's occurred to me that you could approximate that now -- take the complete soundtracks for TMP and TFF, pick out all the cues from the TNG Ron Jones Collection that use the Goldsmith theme (all handily marked by a dagger symbol on the online notes), and you'd have yourself a nice TMP-era music library. Might make a nice accompaniment for reading Ex Machina, Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again, and the latter half of Forgotten History.

Although the thing there is, in order to construct an effective tracked score to fit a particular new story, you'd need to use just portions of a lot of the cues instead of playing the whole things straight through. This TOS set apparently has some ready-made library cues using portions of longer ones, but for my TMP-era library idea, you'd need some way to cut out pieces of a lot of the tracks, and that's beyond my very limited experience with that kind of software.

Then again, the way I would've done it while reading a book wouldn't have been to actually create a soundtrack and play it while I read, but just to memorize the cues by listening to them a lot and then "play them back" mentally while I read. Not everyone can do that, though. I'm not sure I could do it anymore, since I don't seem to have as much time to listen to music these days.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote