View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 07:13 PM   #75
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

"You can never get it back? Really? So someone is physically forcing you not to watch TOS ever again? And someone else is equally forcing you to go see the movies?"

Geez, some people are really touchy. As I stated, I was expressing my opinion which coincidentally happens to be shared by some others, thus my casual use of the word, we.

Of course I can enjoy TOS but that wasn't the point. Like anyone, we enjoy watching that which we love grow and evolve. In MY opinion Abrams took things too far backward in ways that fundamentally change the characters. It wasn't evolution of the characters, it was devolution and destructive of their unique origins.

"We'll stop trying to change your mind once you stop trying to speak for other Trek fans other than yourself."

My intention was not exclude anyone, merely to remind that it was those who came before and watched Trek in syndication for years (on channel 50, Kaiser Broadcasting in Detroit, where it all started) that helped to establish the vast universe of Trek in which you reside. If not for a devotion to TOS and its characters by individuals along with me, YOUR hobby and devotion to Abrams would have no purchase.

I'm entertained by those who purport to have an open mind but clearly cannot stand to hear the opinions of others with whom they disagree.