View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 07:09 PM   #36
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: Sayings that you hate now

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I have always hated "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
(cue crappy-ass pop song)
I call BULLSHIT. What doesn't kill you leaves you scarred and limping; don't try to sell it like it's a good thing.
I agree with you as far as the physical aspects are concerned. However, mentally/emotionally that saying is true. I got bullied as a kid (my parents were teachers so the kids bullied me for being evil's offspring and the teachers buillied me so that nobody could say they treated teacher kids better). As an adult, I was badly bullied as well and even suffered a depression. As my job is rather dangerous plus requires me to drive a lot, I couldn't take any medication (it influences your reaction time) and had to get over the depression with tons of chocolate and long chats with my friends.
It's true, I got a few scars (and a few lbs ) and I am perhaps more touchy than most, but on the whole it left me a very much stronger personality. To my utter surprise my dad told me the other day he always admired how I deal with every problem without help (while my brother is just the opposite). I was really speechless. I'd never thought my dad accepted me, let alone admire me.