View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 12:06 PM   #4474
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Starkers wrote: View Post
But you can't sack your manager for losing one game, Di Matteo, like AVB, was trying to change the entire way the team plays, it was always going to be a work in progress.

I wish Di Matteo had walked away in the summer, he should have done once it became clear Abramovitch wasn't keen on giving him the job. Not like he'd have struggled to find something else, given he'd just won the champions league and the FA cup!
I don't think he's been sacked for one game, last night was just the final nail. If you discount a penalty win against a second-string United team in the League Cup, Chelsea have won one of the last eight games. That run's seen them surrender a lead in the Championship, and effectively seen them eliminated from the Champions League.

RDM was always on a hiding to nothing at Chelsea, particularly after the end of last season. He set an unrealistic standard for Abramovic that he was never going to be able to live up to. With the amount of change needing to be affected at the club, that was just never going to happen.

Let's be fair, RDM or Benitez, they were always going to be treading water until the summer when either Mourinho or Guardiola makes themselves available.