View Single Post
Old November 21 2012, 03:36 AM   #23
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: The Agnostic Prayer

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
EmoBorg wrote: View Post
We agnostic still believe in a higher force but reject organized religion.
I consider myself to be agnostic but don’t feel that it matches with your description here. As an agnostic, I feel that we as humans have no way of knowing whether a “higher force” exists or not. There may be a supernatural power, it may be God, or it may be something else, or it may not exist at all and life is only a result of our physical world. Unless substantial evidence is provided within my lifetime, I will have to wait until I die to find out the truth. If life simply ends and there is no afterlife, then I won’t give a damn anymore anyway.

So, I don’t feel that there can necessarily be a common prayer among agnostics, to express our common morality. We don’t have a common morality; everyone follows their own intuition of what is right and wrong. I express my morality in the choices I make and the way I treat others on a daily basis.

I can think of a basic mantra for agnostics though: “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
Yes, agnosticism and gnosticism are about knowledge, while atheism and theism are about belief.

When it comes to the god of the Bible I would say say that I do not believe in him, and I know he isn't real. When it comes to some other forms of god I would have to say I have no knowledge concerning that god, an in lieu of any evidence of that god I see no reason to start believing in him.

However I am of the opinion that anything that can exist in or react with this Universe is natural (but possibly unexplained). Because everything that exists is natural than nothing is supernatural. Not sure where this leaves some of the gods.

Added to this is the fact that someone needs to define 'god' before I can even start to say if I believe or have knowledge of that god at all.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote