View Single Post
Old November 20 2012, 11:21 PM   #64
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
shanejayell wrote: View Post
According to the Chronic Rift podcast, Mack thinks IFM is simply non-canon.

http://chronicrift.com/node/2744
Quote?

I'd love to think of something else to say
I did not say anything about "canon" or "non-canon." Starting from time reference 12:50, what I said was --

"Geordi is also ... now enmeshed in a new romantic relationship, which was established over several of the recent books, with a doctor from the Enterprise crew named Tamala Harstad. There was one sort of glitch in the continuity when, in the book Indistinguishable from Magic, Geordi somehow got put back together with Leah Brahms. Much as I hate to say this about any book in the recent history of the line, Indistinguishable from Magic just doesn't fit the continuity. It sort of is a unique animal that stands apart from most of the other current Star Trek literary continuity."
In addition to the Leah Brahms/Geordi relationship, other deviations from the current literary continuity include Alyssa Ogawa being an MD when she's still depicted as a nurse in the concurrent Titan continuity, and Nog's new role, which contradicts David R. George's ongoing DS9 literary continuity.

In short, before anyone starts complaining about how the new books are "undoing" IFM, it might be instructive to realize that if most of the other works in the literary continuity fit together except for IFM, maybe that one book lies outside the current continuity, as a unique expression/interpretation of its author, much as David R. George's acclaimed Crucible trilogy represents its author's unique vision of the classic Star Trek mythos.

Also, just to make sure no one gets confused here, saying that a book stands apart from the current shared literary continuity is not a value judgment on the work or its author, merely an observation on the work's relationship to the other books in the recent schedule.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote