View Single Post
Old November 20 2012, 08:56 PM   #144
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Shawnster wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Just to up the SF geek ante, she (Inara) reminded me a little of Dune's Bene Gesserit. Please no-one tell me she starts displaying kung-fu skills and mental abilities
That's a really good comparison!

Forbin wrote: View Post
I think Inara is, basically, a skilled psychologist. There's nothing supernatural there.
I agree with that. It's interesting though that her training allows her to pass through highest levels of diplomacy and power. The possibilities to be more than a sex worker are there and I wouldn't be surprised if some companions are not also spies despite their code most likely forbidding such things.
Inara's much like a geisha (with the added dimension of sex as an expected part of the deal), which is odd, considering the Chinese, rather than Japanese culture.

I found The Train Job to be a very fun and entertaining episode upon repeated viewing (once I understood the whole Firefly concept and universe). I liked Niska as a villain and was glad to see that he returns again. The killing of Krull (I think it was) with the engine intake was unexpected and still cracks me up. And, with the simple scene of the 2 by 2, hands of blue agents, the overall arc is pushed forward.

A great episode especially in light of it being put together literally over a weekend.
Good analysis. Glad to see someone gets it.

The thug's name was Crow, by the way.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote