View Single Post
Old November 20 2012, 04:52 PM   #52
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: life-extension technology in Star Trek (or lack thereof)

Timo wrote: View Post
Begging your pardon, but I'm not the one arguing with a straight face that a few hundred years ago every human being in on planet Earth enjoyed the exact same living conditions and the exact same seasonal climate conditions in sufficient uniformity to make this a global norm.
You most definitely are.
Really? Because I look up thread and see this:

Timo wrote: View Post
Bitterly cold winters and cramped, isolated settlement are the norm rather than the deviation for the classic western lifestyle in the past thousand years. That's where we all came from.
And further upthread I see this:
Twenty people per room was fairly standard for the early age of industrialization in the major cities of Europe
And what was my reply? That those conditions were NOT the general norm in Europe and are not the general norm at the present time, and that's just accounting for Europe. Note that I have not questioned whether those conditions existed AT ALL, nor have I questioned whether they could be found in some parts of modern cities or rural areas. YOU made the claim that everyone, everywhere, lived like that at some point. I called you on your bullshit, and now you're complaining.

I simply point out that your insistence that a special case is impossible...
Is a strawman. Thanks for playing, though.

Isolated = crowded is basically always true, too.
Except, of course, for the thousands of cases historically where it ISN'T. The specific cultural scenario you're projecting from early-industrial Europe doesn't accurately describe concurrent conditions in Africa, the Americas, or the Indian subcontinent. In the case of the latter two, it's the metropolitan areas that are massively overcrowded and rural areas are less densely populated than any time in their history.

And even trying to project that onto Gideon isn't going to work, because again, their population problem is no longer voluntary: they're not huddling together for warmth, they're huddling together because they have nowhere else to go.