View Single Post
Old November 20 2012, 04:23 PM   #53
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: "Children of Time" Plot-hole Question

Damien87 wrote: View Post
Also, the real plot hole in Children of Time is the way they erased the civilization from the planet. They never actually had a choice, because if they were interracting with the descendants, then they already did go back in time and create the civilization.

Look at the sequence of events. They meet an older Odo, he sabotages the ship and prevents them from going back, that Odo was never created, so he didn't sabotage the ship, so they hit the barrier and went back in time...

Star Trek XI had the same plot-hole. If Nero went back in time and blew up Vulcan, then by his time there was no Vulcan to go back and blow up. So he never went back. So he never destroyed Vulcan. So there was something to blow up. So he went back and blew it up. Its a paradox that keeps negating itself.

That's not at all the same as what happened in Trek IV, where they went back in time to bring a solution to the future, not prevent the problem from ever existing. You can alter history with time travel but you can't remove your original reason for travelling back.
Pssst, that's not a plot hole, because a new timeline was created when Nero went back in time. So, yes, by the time, time has past until TNG Era in this new Time line, there will be no Vulcan and all the other changes, however, the Timeline Nero left from, is still intact marching forward

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote