View Single Post
Old November 19 2012, 04:24 PM   #126
intrinsical
Commodore

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
I used a word I learned in Firefly to communicate with a chinese waiter recently. The word was bao. It was very exciting, LOL
The only Chinese I learned from watching was "Shi" (affirmative) and "Ta ma de" (dammit or fuck).

As far as the cultural mixing it really was a shame that it wasn't really explored. They got a little better in Serenity by having actual East Asians on screen.
Why is it that everyone usually learns the swear word "ta ma de" first? "Ta" directly translates to his/her/your. "Ma" is mother. "De" usually translates to "the" but in this instance its more of " 's ". So putting it all together it translates to "Your mother's (private parts)"

lurok wrote: View Post
Just to up the SF geek ante, she (Inara) reminded me a little of Dune's Bene Gesserit. Please no-one tell me she starts displaying kung-fu skills and mental abilities
Companions can be thought of as the ancient root of the Bene Gesserit. Inara has been trained to make psychological "suggestions" and I think she did display some self defense skills in the movie, Serenity.

Last edited by intrinsical; November 19 2012 at 04:36 PM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote