View Single Post
Old November 19 2012, 01:29 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Re: Question for authors: General 'rules' for tie-in media (any franch

There are famous inconsistencies in the Sherlock Holmes canon, like Watson's war wound moving from his leg to his shoulder.

As for Godzilla, the creators of those films have intentionally rebooted the canon multiple times. The original films from 1954 through the mid-'70s (named the Showa series after the namesake era of the Japanese calendar) didn't really bother much with continuity (dead monsters came back to life with little explanation, and there were virtually no recurring characters), but sort of vaguely formed a rough continuity. The Heisei-era series from 1984-95 ignored everything but the '54 original and started a new, tighter continuity from there, complete with a few recurring characters for a change, although it had its own continuity glitches. And then, with the Millennium series of films starting in 1999, they started over, experimenting with setting each new film in a separate continuity, a different interpretation of the Godzilla universe -- though every one was still nominally a sequel to the '54 original, even though some of them reinterpreted the causes and meaning of its events or retconned its ending (and the last three films -- and two universes -- were sequels to a few other Showa-era monster movies as well, while contradicting others). They embraced discontinuity, and it was actually quite intriguing to see all the different variations on the theme (though only a few were really worthwhile). And while I was watching those, I couldn't help but wonder why many Star Trek (and I guess Star Wars) fans feel so threatened by the idea of multiple continuities. Reinventing a fictional universe from the ground up, or nearly so, can be a lot of fun.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote