View Single Post
Old November 18 2012, 12:23 AM   #972
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but this movie is going to have Disney playing it safe with what they know are successful ingredients and are not going to take risks. Therefore, the main character is going to be someone named Skywalker. In the unlikely even that it isn't, then the main character will at least be Luke's apprentice.

Yes, throughout the various novels, comic books and video games Star Wars has succesfully gone into any era with characters who aren't related to anyone seen in the movies. But Disney wants brand recognition, and face facts, more people know who Han Solo is than Grand Admiral Thrawn.
What you're saying here doesn't make any sense to me. If you're not interested in movies that "play it safe" and that "don't take risks", why are you even talking about Star Wars VII in the first place? Why would you even think about anything that is part of an ongoing franchise?

Writing a Star Wars story with Admiral Thrawn or with a main character not named Skywalker is not taking risks, it's just putting lipstick on a pig. If you want to encourage filmmakers who take risks, there are plenty out there who need your support.