View Single Post
Old November 17 2012, 05:57 PM   #32
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Re: 2012 Rugby Championship thread

Not a complete turnaround but enough of one to win out 20 - 16 against the "Old Enemy". The most pleasing aspect was the scrum and how much better it looked with the two Bens and Timani in there. There was even the rarest of sightings: a win against the feed against an English scrum. The lineouts went through a rough patch but Polatu-Nau has always been a bit shaky with his throws, though it did come after a head knock, so that probably had an impact.

Good defence by the team with the only English try off a quick tap from around the 10 m on Australia's side and even then the try was a whisker from been saved. Cummins got the Wallabies' only try and it came off what appeared to be a forward pass as well, so both sides had unconvincing tries and they also both had one disallowed a piece.

Barnes in the side adds more options and seemed to take the pressure off Beale and Barnes kicking game was pretty solid as well as his efforts under the high ball. Ioane was back, but the attack was favouring Cummins' wing so he didn't feature much. Mitchell also came on for the last 10, but I don't think he touched the ball. Timani looked good as well returning...and I think that's all the injury returns, oh Ben Alexander was solid in the scrum and around the park.

England was a bit poor, they had some aimless kicking and their decision making was questionable. They didn't score in the second half, partly thanks to good defence, but also because they decided against at least 3 get able kicks within the first 20 - 25 minutes. They were also a bit like the Wallabies last weekend with their attack breaking down due to poor passing and ball control.

If the side can keep this form and even improve on it they should account for Italy, especially if the scrum holds up. Two years ago they came close to losing against Italy with the Wallaby pack faltering, but then again the next week they towelled France by 50 points, so as an Wallabies supporter knows the Wallabies can go from okay/pretty good to terrible within the space of a week.

On the sidelines Campese has again attacked the Wallabies. Sometimes I think the only way Campo will be happy is if he is cloned so he can play 1 to 15, be the coach and take every position in the ARU. It is probably down to media beat up which focuses hard on his negative comments, but he does come across as the most negative former Wallaby in the media, not to say that he never has a point, but I'm getting to the point where I'm about to put my fingers in my ears whenever I hear anyone say "former Wallaby David Campese has said..."

Last edited by Jon-o'-lantern; November 17 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote