View Single Post
Old November 17 2012, 05:25 AM   #1197
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

130. Killer Joe (B+)

William Friedkin has had a very odd directorial career. With a few films of buildup in the late 60s, he won Best Director in 1971 for The French Connection, followed that up with The Exorcist, since then has done a variety of mediocre studio movies and fiercely uncommercial endeavours. Here, we've got an NC-17 (18A, in Canada) black comedy about one of the most irredeemable collections of people I've ever seen, featuring terrific work from Matthew McConaughey as the psycho title character.

Though through the screening I attended, I was distracted by the presence of a 70something woman, who, on leaving the theatre when the movie was over, remarked "I didn't know it was gonna be like that", which just raises the question of what she thought the movie was like.

131. Midnight's Children (B-)

Indo-Canadian director Deepa Metha adapts Sir Salman Rushdie's Booker-winning novel (with Rushdie working on the screenplay and providing narration). It's okay, but I think that the things that really make Rushdie's books stand out (his prose style, especially) don't translate well to film.

Cinema: 43 (+2)
Home Video: 75
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote